Monday, April 14, 2008

Essay 2

I think I want to write about Ordinary People for my essay 2. I really loved the reality of it. I think some of the other stories that we read were too much like fantasy but this story talks so much about things that are hard to talk about. The flawed relationships were all out in the open and ready for people to see.

I'm not sure exactly what I want to talk about, but I am interested in communication, and the lack of it as well. I might focus on how communication kills relationships. There is so much to talk about from this movie it is hard to choose! I guess I have some thinking to do...I'll post updates

2 comments:

Clary said...

Hi Alice
I love the idea about communication or miscommunication in relationships. Do you remember reading Deborah Tannen last year? She's a linguist from Georgetown that talks a lot about communication problems between men and women. Ordinary People is all about miscommunication between husband/wife and mother/son. It's also about "ordinary people," which I think is such a great title, because all families have problems expressing themselves and altering their expectations about how others should communicate. Looking foward to this!

Caitlin Britton said...

I found it interesting that the woman in the case of this story was the one who did not want to open up and avoided touchy subjects. Usually it is the male who takes this role. Weirddd